The real estate crisis left us all upset. How working in a real estate has become an odyssey. Every day we attend new and surprising turns to be aware of. In addition to indicating the future of the profession, trends in the general labor market advance us. This is the case with the new way of working as a freelance real estate agent from home or a freelance dependent on a real estate agent.
What has Changed at Work as a Real Estate Agent?
It is clear that the labor market has undergone profound changes in the last decade. From jobs for life, balls and shenanigans we have gone to job flexibility, uncertainty and precarious employment.
Have we improved or, on the contrary, is the employment of poorer quality?
We are not experts in this regard, but we have detected certain trends that we would like to share with you.
For example, working as a real estate agent or in luxury real estate are two of the most popular ways for new generations of professionals.
What has changed? Above all, we have learned to do things differently. If the crisis has taught this profession something, it is that it must be renewed and what seemed safe a few years ago, now it is not.
From a real estate agent’s perspective, it is now more complex to look for a real estate agent job. Many look for it in inexperienced real estate agencies. And they don’t understand that this profession requires specific real estate training.
Modalities of Work as a Real Estate Agent: Freelance from Home or Freelance in a Real Estate Agency
In many job offers you will have seen that a job is offered as a freelance or freelance dependent on a real estate agent. Below we explain the two modalities:
Autonomous Real Estate Agent from Home
As you will no doubt know, there are many advantages to being a freelance real estate agent, although it is a hard life for which not everyone is worth.
They send the results, not the hours worked, and normally, you end up working more hours than if you were in a 9 to 5 office.
Freelance Real Estate Agent Dependent on a Real Estate Agency
Working as a freelance real estate agent dependent on a real estate company also has a huge handicap on its back: it works for a single client, on whom it depends economically.
To ensure that if you lose the income of that single client you can continue to subsist, the figure of the dependent freelance brings together characteristics of workers employed by others.
Thus, for example, you are entitled to vacations, but they will not be remunerated unless the parties agree on an agreement.
The same happens with compensation for the termination of the professional relationship. When it is the employer who decides to terminate the contract with the dependent freelance real estate agent, the latter will be entitled to compensation that must be agreed in the individual contract between worker and employer.
Working in Real Estate as Home Agent or Dependent Freelance: Which is Better?
Whichever modality you choose, a real estate agent can work from home or integrated into the physical structure of the company.
eye! Do not confuse the way of working as a freelance real estate agent to avoid making contracts with your employees, this does not work like this.
In fact, one of the requirements to be able to formalize a contract of this type is that the worker cannot carry out the same activity as company workers who are listed as professionals for someone else.
That is why it is important that if you want to work in a real estate agency you inform yourself well of what is best for you and what they are going to offer you.
Regardless of the type of contract, as a dependent freelance or if you decide to work as a freelance real estate agent, you should know that you will have pros and cons to weigh.
It will largely depend on the real estate agent job you are looking for. If you want to work with a minimum investment and low risk, either option is worth it.
Benefits of Working as a Freelance Real Estate Agent
The autonomous real estate agent can work from home so that he sets his own hours and working hours.
- It is easier to combine professional and working life because you do not depend on rigid schedules or the boss’s permission.
- It allows you to combine the profession of an agent with other liberal professions, to complete your income.
- You are the one who measures efficiency and allows you to organize as best suits you.
- If you have several clients and one of them fails, you will always have the support of a minimum income.
- You have to register as a freelance, which although it does not involve much paperwork, it is a time to consider.
- You will have to take charge of the social security fees.
- There is no possibility of severance pay, which is always a problem.
Benefits of Working as a Freelance Dependent Real Estate Agent
- You have a contract, which means that in case the employer breaches it, you can collect compensation.
- In the contract, you can specify the availability of schedules, vacations and other issues that are important to you and that you want to leave in writing in a binding document.
- Since you are “independent” you should be able to manage your tasks and your time as you consider.
- If you work as a real estate agent from your home, you are not tied to schedules, although the employer may require meetings or periodic reports of your activity.
- You will need your own equipment to carry out your activity, such as a computer, printer, etc.
- You cannot be in charge of other people who work for you or subcontract the services for which you have been hired.
Working in a Real Estate Agency With the Advantages of Being Autonomous
It is not impossible, by proxy, you can. In fact, franchises as important as alfa Inmobiliaria already offer the possibility of being a franchisee without the need to buy or rent a commercial premise.
The fundamental advantage of this type of modality? As experts in real estate marketing strategies, we perceive that it is a great opportunity to dedicate the saved budget to designing a website for real estate.
It is true that today there is not many franchisees who choose this freelance modality. Nowadays real estate agents maintain their Rights and Obligations for Sale or Rental & change every day. We are sure that in the coming years we will see much more radical changes in our profession.